Views and opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the individuals expressing them. They are not necessarily the views and opinions of all of the contributors, A Little Nonsense, its editor, or its sponsors. So, if you disagree, don't get all flibbidy-jibbit. Rather, join the conversation and share your thoughts.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A New Dawn Awaits...The DC Relaunch

Swamp-Thing #1

This is it. It’s DC-Day in the wild, wonderful world of comics. Today is the day that DC relaunches its entire line of comics and I could not be more excited about it. There are an array of opinions out there that range from the outraged, nay-saying, fanboy, to the completely disinterested, to the lukewarm, to the ecstatic. I fall somewhere towards ecstatic. Because of my excitement for this bold change, I feel compelled to regurgitate some of my initial thoughts on the relaunch. I’ve espoused this opinion while I was working at Discount Comic Book Service, on my podcast, on other podcasts, and on message boards. I still stand by it.

To date, I have been reading comics for twenty-five years. I consider myself lucky to have spent a good portion of those twenty-five years reading DC comics. Obviously, DC has been publishing for much longer than that. So long, in fact, that the idea of a relaunch is not new for DC, and angrier fans are deluding themselves if they think otherwise. This marks at least the third relaunch in DC's history (the first being the introduction of the Silver Age with Showcase #4 and the second being Crisis on Infinite Earths). 


If this is something that excites existing fans or, far better than that, excites and welcomes new fans then I am for it. I actively want it to be a success. If the initial sales numbers are any indication, most fans and, at least, retailers are behind this new initiative. It may even be that there is a subset of people out there who have flirted with the idea of reading comics, they saw something from DC’s marketing campaign, and this will turn them on. Based on the overall sales numbers, it seems that is either A.) already true, B.) there are a lot of retailers think it will be the case, or C.) both.

All that matters here is that there is an opportunity for new and returning fans to get turned on to comics. If those kids who come into the store, the adults who come back, or the folks who buy the books digitally get to experience even a little bit of the excitement I have for comics, then this is a tremendous achievement. 

All of the years of stories I've read and the joy they gave me will never go away. Every story that was written in the twenty-five years since the last relaunch is still there and is still valid--the books don't just disappear. It's perfectly reasonable, and should be welcomed, for my kids or someone else’s kids or some teenager to have an opportunity to experience their DC Universe. I got the Crisis/Post Crisis world. That was mine, we had our ups and downs, but I cherish the memories. I'll always have those and I'm making new ones all the time with other comics and eras.

Animal Man #1
It's time to let somebody else have their own DCU and their own continuity to gripe about. If they're telling good stories and fans, even if it isn't you, are getting excited about what's happening, then DC should be applauded. 

Speaking of gripes, there also seems to be a some disdain for the new costume designs among some existing fans. Let it go. Who cares about Superman and Wonder Woman’s pants? Or costume designs, in general? In the grand scheme of things, they are completely unimportant. Costumes come and go and are tweaked all the time (even on a month-to-month basis, depending on who is drawing the book!). Sure, there have been some truly awful designs throughout the decades, and there have been plenty of great ones, too.  It's my contention, however, that there is not now, nor has there ever been, a comicbook whose quality was determined by the costume designs being used. 


Moreover, the fact is, potentially new readers do not care about the costume designs. Not even a little bit. In fact, the odds are that they won’t even notice the difference. If a costume design is stopping someone from trying a book, then they probably were not really going to buy it anyway. 


It's not about costumes. It's not about continuity. It's about characters and story. 


So get out and celebrate today! Celebrate throughout the whole month and find the comic that’s right for you—I can almost guarantee you it’s there, just waiting for you. If you’re not particularly eager about JLA, Superman, or Green Lantern, that’s fine! Consider Swamp Thing, Animal Man, OMAC, or Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE. In comics, there really is something for everyone…tights are not, and never have been, a pre-requisite.

Comics are amazing and wonderful and exciting, get to your shop and be a part of this new era. Heck, bring a friend, buy the books digitally, I don’t care. Just be proud to be a comics fan. Enthusiasm is infectious and it’s high time that we started spreading it. 

3 comments:

  1. Good post, Zack. I find myself feeling similarly enthusiastic about this DC re-launch and I barely read any DC or superhero comics. It's just exciting to see one of the biggest comics publishers in America attempting something new and ambitious. Heck, I may go out and buy Justice League #1 and I don't even care about the Justice League! I'm just all excited...

    You're right to say comics are about character and story but I think you may have been a little too dismissive of costume designs when making your point. After all, comics are a visual medium and the look of a character can be a big part of that character's appeal. If Batman looked as goofy as Wonder Man he'd probably be a lot less popular! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jim!

    You're right. I probably was being a bit too dismissive about the costume designs, and for precisely the reason that you had mentioned. The thought even crossed my mind as I was typing this up.

    However, the point I was trying to make is that costume design is not the biggest thing that people need to worry about here. I wasn't trying to diminish the visual aspect of comics. Comics need visual appeal to be successful.

    That being said, costumes change all the time and if a fan doesn't like a particular look now, it's not a big deal. The costume will likely be tweaked or completely changed by someone else in a relatively short period of time. Although I agree with you about the Batman v. Wonderman costume designs; in this instance, I think we're talking about what amount to VERY minor costume changes. Not about giving Superman pouches and shoulder pads.

    Moreover, I really just don't think that neophytes are all that concerned about it. In the event that they are really concerned about it, they may be getting into comics for the wrong reason and we'll probably lose them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found something interesting tonight. I'm over in Findlay, Ohio for work. I thought, since I was here, I'd find a comic store. Couldn't find one, but did find a used book store with comics in the back corner. Nice little small place, but I noticed the Justice League space was empty. I decided to look around. While I was there, only about 15 minutes, 3 different people stopped in and asked about Justice League. She said sorry that she's been sold out. I finally said hi to her and spoke for a few minutes. She got in 10 copies, she normally get 4 copies of that title and sometimes don't sell them all. She was sold out within the hour of opening and about a couple dozen people had stopped in and asked about it. Hopefully, at least half these people come back for more. :)

    ReplyDelete